The founder of Lanitis Group was Panagis Sykas from Lania, who settled in Limassol at the end of the ottoman occupation of the Island, his main business being the trading of foodstuffs. In 1896 his two sons, Nicolas P. Lanitis and Costas P. Lanitis established a business partnership, namely N.P. Lanitis Co. Ltd, which eventually became the back bone of the Lanitis Group.
In 1933 Costas P. Lanitis buys agricultural land at the Villages of Alectora and Kouklia, part of which is today the Aphrodite Hills Resort.
His older son Evagoras Lanitis, had a vision – to build a golf resort of international acclaim, that could stand alone amongst the best in the world. It was a dream which began in the 1970’s, and which eventually experienced its first breath of life in the 1990’s when work on this massive project was initiated.
When it all began
Commencing in 1997, the structural design of the course was the brainchild of the master planners SASAKI Associates, Inc., in collaboration with Cabell Robinson, acclaimed golf course architect and designer.
Much attention was given to the ecological impact that the course would have on the area and also taken into account were the archaeological sites that were subsequently discovered, and which had to be preserved.
Construction of the Hotel begins
Construction of Aphrodite Hills Hotel began in early 2000. WATG Design Architects were the architectural firm responsible for the Hotel’s innovative design, integrating all the surrounding elements – golf course, hotel and real estate – in a way that incorporated the essence and history of the surrounding landscape, whilst meeting international standards.
Real Estate development commences
The Resort’s private residences, made up of a wide selection of contemporary luxury Villas and Apartments, have been designed by a number of innovative local and international architectural firms. The properties were built in a way that exteriors blend into the landscape seamlessly, with natural earthy colours that complement the natural surrounding environment.
Golf Course completed
By October 2002, construction of the Aphrodite Hills Golf Course and the Clubhouse were completed and became operational.
This 18-hole visually spectacular championship golf course was built on two plateaux, separated by a dramatic ravine. Construction of the Resort’s roads were also completed in this year.
Commercial elements completed
In 2005, all commercial elements of the Resort were finalised. Aphrodite Hills Hotel opened in March of this year and very quickly became a luxury lifestyle haven for world travellers.
The 18-hole championship golf course has attained the highest standard recognition in golf; the PGA National, Cyprus.
IAGTO (International Association of Golf Tour Operators), named Aphrodite Hills Resort, as the “2018 European Golf Resort of the Year” at the prestigious annual IAGTO Awards.